Our mission is to ensure a safe, orderly, dynamic learning environment that provides all levels of learner’s universal access to a rigorous curriculum that promotes high standards of scholarship and citizenship.
Students Who Do Well in School:
- Set academic and personal goals for school.
- Expect to be successful.
- Like learning new information, even if it is difficult at first.
- Are ready to try again, even if they don’t do well on something the first time.
- Stay on task in class and finish assignments on time.
- Have academic confidence and take pride in their work.
- Want to take academic risks and challenge themselves.
- Are at school every day and on time.
What is the role of a middle school counselor?
The counseling department is an essential component of the overall school program at Katherine Albiani Middle School. Our school counselors work to build positive partnerships with the KAMS staff, administrators, families, and the community to provide a supportive, effective and safe environment in which all students can succeed and feel connected. Students and families are encouraged to contact the Student Services Office to set up an appointment if they would like to meet with a member of the counseling staff.
The KAMS counseling program provides guidance and support in 3 core areas;
- Academic:class placements, schedules, resources for tutoring, transcript reviews , and learning how to track and calculate credits for successful promotion to the next grade level.
- Personal/Social: providing tips and guidance around forming and maintaining positive peer relationships, learning to self advocate, make a positive transition to middle school, and managing changing emotions. In addition counselors provide support to students who are having challenges with peers through the use of a conflict mediation process.
- College & Career Exploration: in class presentations and conducting interest inventories with students to help them begin to identify their college and career goals.